Last week, Evoenergy’s Acting Network Services Manager Paul Wheatley spoke to the Canberra Times about the importance of home electrical safety, and how to identify and report shocks and tingles. Having worked in the energy industry for many years, Paul knows all too well the dangers of electricity.
"I've worked at Evoenergy and its predecessors for a long time now, almost 20 years, and during that time, I have developed a new appreciation for the power and force of electricity," Paul said.
"When I was a young bloke [before I worked for Evoenergy and didn't know better], I dabbled in the occasional home electrical DIY job, and I experienced the odd shock or jolt when I isolated the wrong circuit and didn't test, or just forgot which side of a fuseway was live."
"I never had a serious injury doing home DIY but knowing what I do now, I realise that these minor shocks could have been so much worse."
"We often get asked about the difference between static electricity and shocks and tingles—shocks and tingles are what we refer to as mild electrical shock," Paul said.
"Static electricity happens when there is a build-up of electrical energy through friction, like when you walk on a wool rug then touch a metal object and feel a 'zap'."
Although you can’t always see the dangers of electricity, you can certainly feel it. An electric shock or tingle is sudden discharge of an electrical current through your body that may feel warm, or like pins and needles.
Shocks and tingles can be caused by a number of things and more often than not, indicate an underlying issue such as faulty wiring or appliances, or can indicate a voltage issue.
It’s important you take 10 minutes out of your day to check your home for electrical hazards as it could save the life of a loved one. If you find an electrical hazard, call a licenced electrician to fix it. And if you feel a shock or tingle, even if it’s only mild, call Evoenergy on 13 10 93 to investigate.
Hearing from experienced safety experts like Paul is a good reminder to do a home electrical hazard check today. To download a copy of our home electrical hazard checklist or for more information, visit: www.evoenergy.com.au/safety
To read the full article, visit: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6749902/switch-on-to-hazards-with-evoenergys-home-electrical-safety-checklist/
Please note the information contained in this article is general in nature only, and does not account for all circumstances which may arise. Please make your own inquiries before acting on any of the information contained in this article. Evoenergy is not responsible for any loss or damage that arises as a result of anyone’s reliance on the information contained in this article.