The holiday season is here and as many dig out their Christmas decorations and lights, it’s important to keep safety front of mind so the whole family, including pets, enjoy the festive season.
To avoid the risk of electric shock, check all lights and cords to ensure they have not frayed or been damaged during storage.
Evoenergy Branch Manager Works Delivery Clinton McAlister says, “Always check the manufacturer’s instructions before setting up lights. Also, look on the box to see whether they are suitable for indoor or outdoor use.
“When hanging lights on your roof or around gutters, be mindful of power lines, especially if your home has a roof connection. Solar-powered lights are also a safe outdoor option as no power cords are required.”
Mr McAlister said it is very important to keep Christmas decorations and lights away from flammable materials such as wrapping paper, and out of reach of pets.
“If pets play with or chew on cords they risk electric shock. Small light bulbs and decorations can also be a choking hazard,” he said.
“Battery operated lights are a great way to keep cords and adapters off the ground as the battery packs can be tucked inside the tree.
“But if you do have cords lying around on the ground, use Velcro to organise them neatly and keep them hidden.”
For more information and safety tips visit https://www.evoenergy.com.au/safety
For further media information only:
0414 515 359